Back Bay Farm offers year round horseback riding lessons for all ages and abilities.
Due to COVID-19 social distancing protocols, we will not be able to accept new students until the spring of 2021.
If you are on the waiting list, you will be contacted when our schedule opens up.
Back Bay Farm Lesson Program
School lessons are reasonably priced and in addition, we offer practice riding for all clients in our current school program.
Horseback riding lessons are never canceled when BBF is on the road or at one-day horse shows. BBF does not school more than one lesson in the ring at a time. Our riding school clients have access to lessons with Robin Petersen and our other instructors on a regular basis. School riders are also welcome to participate when guest instructors and clinicians come to Back Bay.
New Riders Welcome!
We have horses and ponies available for lease at local shows for our riding school clients. Our show quality lesson mounts show competitively each year from lead line to the 3ft ring. All our school horses and ponies live in the main barn and are given the utmost quality care. Back Bay Farm is proud to have been named a “Horse Farm of Distinction” by the Massachusetts Farm Bureau Federation for many years.
Partial Leases are available for school ponies + horses for our riding school clients.
If you think Back Bay Farm is the place for your horseback riding lesson needs, please stop by for a visit during business hours. No appointment necessary. This is a great way to get acclimated to our farm, meet our lesson horses/ponies, and even see some of them in action. We look forward to meeting you!
- Group Lesson Rates: $80 (no more than 4 riders in a group)
- Private Lesson Rates: $100
- Private Lunge Line Lessons for Beginners: $80
- Private Lunge Line Lessons will prepare you to be riding independently in a group in the future. Leadline lessons are usually limited to about 4 lessons but we will discuss the right timeline for your child.
What to wear to your riding lesson:
- Riding pants or Long pants
- Paddock boots or hard-soled shoes with a heel. No sneakers or flats.
- A helmet: please bring a fitted, certified helmet. You can also borrow one of ours!
- Please fill out a waiver / release form that can be downloaded here.
Safety Rules and Guidelines:
- The speed limit is 5 MPH on the driveway. This feels very slow and it should be very slow! There are dogs, children, and horses who depend on this rule.
- Please do not bring your dogs to the barn. If this is unavoidable, please keep them in your car.
- No smoking is allowed on the property.
- Please walk and be generally quiet and gentle.
- Please park facing away from the outdoor ring, in our parking area. Do not drive up to the barn door.
- If approaching the indoor ring, please announce yourself as you walk up by loudly saying “Door”, and stop at the doorway until someone says it is safe to enter.
- Please do not visit the barn outside of business hours (8am to 7pm Tuesday-Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday & Sunday)
- Lesson cancellations must be made by 9am on the day of the lesson. All cancellations must be made by phone to the office at 978-356-0730. No text or email.
We’ve done tack trunk lists and horse show planning lists, but it’s hard to pack or prep things that you don’t have! Here is the